I'm not an everyday blogger... If I have something to say...this is where I will say it. You will also find links to my specialized blogs.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says... 'Oh shit....she's awake!!'

""Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!""
— Unknown


Sunday, August 13, 2006

A Little Sightseeing

Sightseeing...I took 3 hours off, hired a driver and did some quick sightseeing. The Philippines is 95% Catholic...so it is hard to do any sight seeing that doesn't involve churches.

Everyone told me I should visit the beaches. Well, I didn't have time for much more than a quick drive by....
Each evening along this stretch, they set up bars and tables.


































































This is one of the National parks which includes the burial of a National military hero (I don't remember which one).






















I believe that this is the MINOR BASILICA OF SAN LORENZO RUIZ
(Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Parish),
Plaza Lorenzo Ruiz, Binondo, Manila. This church was originally established in 1587 and has been rebuilt 6 times.


























The Intramuros is the old walled city built by the Spanish rule occupation 500 years ago. Intramusros actually means "Within the walls." At the time, you could only get inside if you were Spanish. If I get a chance, I would like to go back and spend more time in this section of the city.


This is the SHRINE OF OUR LADY OF CORREA
Immaculate Conception Parish (San Agustin Church). It also contains a museum. In order to be married here, you must apply. While I was there, a couple was putting together a portfolio of photos to include with their application.
























































Inside St. Augustin's


























































The music book is set in the choir loft so that the choir could see the entire book.

















The gardens and grounds where couples hold their reception following the ceremony at St. Augustin.






























































The Coconut Palace was a $10M project of Amelda Marcos. 70% of the construction materials are derived from coconut. According to my guide, the house was built for St. John Paul II although he didn't stay there because it was too much. Instead, several of Imelda's jet-set friends stayed here at one time or another, among them Van Cliburn and Brooke Shields. Also, according to my guide, much of the furniture was built by 8-10 year old children (although I can't confirm that). I was unable to get closer to this because it was closed on Friday afternoon. (NOTE: Friday afternoons are bad days for sightseeing because everything closes so people can get to mass.)














The Philippines Cultural Center is a legacy of the Marcos'. It is supposed to have fountains in the front but they were not working when I was there.














This isn't a very good picture of the US Embassy. It has a great view overlooking the water.










0 comments: